Next week, I receive two glorious days of celebratory desserts in one punch. Along with the gluttonous holiday that is Thanksgiving, Tuesday is the birthday of yours truly. And, of course, yours truly is fiending this Friday for all the desserts that come with the season.
Personally, I have never made a 100% from-scratch pie before. This Thanksgiving, I look to change that. My sweet potato supply runneth over, so that filling just makes sense. But, being one that grew up with pumpkin pie to the tilt, I don’t have much experience with fantastic sweet potato pies or recipes to go with said pies.
Fortunately, a bit of poking around online has given me a few stunners.
- Four & Twenty Blackbirds’ Bourbon-Sweet Potato Pie Recipe from Bon Appetit blog
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap-Pecan Crust from Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Pie from Smitten Kitchen
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel from Food & Wine
- Bobby Flay’s Pumpkin Pie with Cinnamon Crunch & Bourbon-Maple Whipped Cream from Serious Eats
Now, for my birthday, my brain is debating. Shall I make a cake for myself? Should I do this for my dinner with friends [at a restaurant] on Sunday? Or the actual day of? I do make some damn good cake, but I am a bit tempted to just indulge in a good cupcake or two. Or I could dive head first and make a The Cherpumple!
To the bakers out there, what are your thoughts on making your own birthday cake? And, while I’m asking, what are your thoughts on the pie recipes?